What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization, which is a process of increasing the quality and quantity of traffic to your eCommerce site through organic search engine results. This means improving your website’s visibility, as the more visibility your site has in Google’s search results, the more likely you are to attract consumers.
Getting your website into the top-ranking search results is key for visibility, as reports have shown that the top listings can get over 10 times more traffic to their website than lower listings. In fact, reports have shown that the top 3 website results on Google get around 70% of clicks, with the rate of clicks dropping quickly and drastically and only 0.78% of people clicking on results on the second page.
Why is Good Product Data Important For eCommerce SEO?
Product data is vital for SEO in eCommerce, as it provides search engines with details on what your website pages are about, making it easier for them to properly understand the information on each page to ultimately give your website a higher ranking.
Good product data also means that you are more likely to connect consumers who are actively seeking to find the products or services that your company is selling, overall leading to an increase in your sales volumes. Furthermore, reports have shown that companies who effectively implement SEO, using good product data on their eCommerce website, grow up to two times faster than companies that don’t.
How Can You Improve Product Data For eCommerce SEO
There is a range of ways that you can improve your product data for SEO on your eCommerce site to gain a higher ranking on Google and attract more consumers. Some of these key ways include, but are not limited to:
- Choose keywords that will rank - Ensuring that you use the correct keywords (on your website pages) that will align with your product/service, connect with consumers seeking your product, and aren’t highly competitive with other brands, is absolutely key. To find out more about keyword research to help find the perfect keywords for you, check out https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-do-keyword-research-ht
- Increase the use of keywords - Once you have identified your keywords it is vital to use these words consistently and strategically throughout each webpage, including them in the headlines, meta description, content, product descriptions, etc., but don’t overdo it!
- Ensure all pages have relevant, detailed, and structured information - Ensuring that all of your webpages, such as product detail pages, have relevant, detailed, and high-quality information, will further help to improve your SEO for Google as well as your consumers. Having this information in a uniform structure with good grammar will also optimize your website.
- Use high-quality images and well-labeled image alt text - Using high-quality images with well-labeled alt text for each product helps Google to understand and trust your site. This also provides value and an eye catching difference in your products to draw consumers in.
- Unique and relevant page titles/headlines - Unique and relevant headlines (using keywords) for product names or blog titles, etc. will not only help you to connect with the right audience and rank on Google but will also help you stand out from the vast amount of online competition.
- Increase the number of backlinks and internal links - Increasing the number of backlinks and internal links throughout each product detail page, blog post etc., on your website will help Google to build trust with your site, making you much more likely to gain a higher ranking.
- Improve site architecture - Having good site architecture using a consistent data classification structure will improve SEO and the consumer experience. Making sure that your product data is in the correct format for mobile-friendliness, fast page loading time, and safe connection (etc.), will also help build trust and consumer value.
- Ensure pages of discontinued products are managed to keep the benefits of the SEO already built up, while making it clear for the shopper the product is no longer availalble while ideally recommending an alternative.
- HTML, title tags, meta description, subheadings - Ensuring that each of these components is optimized and include keywords will additionally build trust with Google and attract the right consumers to your site.
How Vesta Can Help With Product Data Improvements For eCommerce SEO
For companies with large amounts of product data, getting this information online in a structured format is a mission, but Vesta can help. Vesta’s automation tools collect,clean, and continuously connect product data between your vendors and your eCommerce site. This means that product information can be loaded onto all product detail pages, images can be bulk edited to ensure they are of high quality, and information can be structured and formatted to ensure consistency.
Vesta’s tools will standardize product titles, making them unique and include keywords, and ensure all abbreviations (eg. BLK for black) are expanded into full word formats, for consumer and search engine optimization. Additionally, Vesta will automate the classification of products into categories, parent and child relationships, and option sets, including any new products added by suppliers over time, ensuring good site architecture is maintained. These are just a few ways that Vesta can help you get your product data online in an efficient and structured way to help you with SEO on your eCommerce site.
Vesta’s tools create the perfect place for your organization to start and build upon creating and implementing effective SEO strategies. Contact us today to learn more about our automation tools and how they can set you up to create an eCommerce site with enhanced SEO.